Saturday, November 20, 2010

While shopping for fruit

So I should be working (yes, I know...Saturday night!?! In Brazil!!? It's getting to the end of the year, so there is lots of last minute editing, preparation and extra "things." Like learning Michael Jackson's "Heal the World" so I can help 5 teachers sing it at their end of the year presentation. Which, by the way, the end of the year presentations in Brazil are C R A Z Y!!! We're talking rent an extra hall, have the kids buy nice new outfits and graduation gowns (when are they ever going to wear those again!?), making sure the kids are POLISHED with their singing and choreography, hiring professional musicians to accompany said kids, and hiring profession photographers and videographers to capture all this. So, all to say, I'm busier than usual. But here's a little something that made me cry in the sacolão this week, and it wasn't because I had to go shopping with my kids (that is a recipe for gray hairs).

Pears on sale! This comes out to about US$0.94 a pound. I'd bought some a few days before, and they were really good, so I went to get some more.

And this is what I saw:


I can't get the image to flip, for some reason. But these pears are not Argentinian, they are from the US, and from Wenatchee, the town where I was born!!! I tried to ask one of the guys who works there why it said Argentina, but I couldn't understand him. And then I told him that these pears were from my homeland. He said they were pretty good, but he didn't really seem to care. But I know all you will care!! Now, back to work.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds super exciting!
    It must have been a great surprise... :)

    ReplyDelete