Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Fruit day: what is it? Jambo!

****Thanks to Corinne and Corin it's been identified as a "Water Apple" or "Jambo" and grows in the Northeast!*******

Hi there.  One thing that is popular at schools here for the 3 and 4 year olds is "Fruit Day" or "Roda da Fruta."  The kids can bring a fruit from home to share with their classmates.  Then the teachers show the fruits, talk about the colors, the textures, etcetera, and then cut up the fruit so that everybody can try some.  Last week, this was one of the fruits:


It was about 3 inches long, and had kind of the texture of an apple, but really no flavor (I don't think it was ripe).  Can anyone help me out to identify it?  I've spent WAAAAY too much time google-ing "strange red brazil fruit" with no luck.  I know that the teacher told me the name, but I can't remember.  And I probably won't remember to ask tomorrow when I'm back at the school.  Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. looks like a water apple. Here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syzygium_malaccense

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corin de Freitas agrees! Called "jambo" here, and grows in the Northeast.

    ReplyDelete