Monday, January 9, 2012

I love the mountains...

We were hanging out with family the other day, sharing some stories, and I remembered a "blog-worthy" story.  Always looking for good material.





As you know, I teach music at Maple Bear Canadian School to young children.  I love my job.  I love the kiddos.  I'm always on the look out for different songs to teach them.  A few months ago, I was brainstorming a list of songs that I had learned as a child, and I remembered this one:

 

Any one else remember this one?   We sang it at Church camp and I think I sang it at school with my 2nd grad music teacher.  Cute, simple, harmless.  Right?  So I started teaching it to one of my 4 and 5 year old classes.  I sing about the mountains, the fireside, the lights.  No problem.  Then I got to the "Boom di yadda, boom di yadda" part, and the kids start snickering.  Huh?  I sang the whole song again, and of course the only part that the kids sing is "boom di yadda," but this time they are full on cracking up.  I don't get it.  Later in the day, I go to another class, teach the same song.  The same thing happens.  It wasn't until my THIRD class, that I finally asked the teacher if she understood why they were laughing.  She very kindly said, "it sounds like "BUNDA yada."

Oh great. BUNDA means "butt."  And Brazilians kind of like butts.  So I was singing "butt-di yada, booty di yada, butt-di yada..." over and over.  I've tried to change the lyrics to "oodi lada, oodi lada, oodi lada, oodi lada," but the kids still like singing about butts. 

I told this story to my family, and as soon as I started singing "Boom-di yada," my 9 year old daughter was dying laughing (before I told them what Bunda ment).  She thought it was hilarious.  I guess I'll have to have her preview my song selections for the next year.



1 comment: