Saturday, September 28, 2013

complacency?

http://econ.st/18skeVM

Interesting, and in my opinion, accurate evaluation of things in Brazil.
I do disagree though, about protests during the World Cup.  I think that there will be protests.  And I also think that there is a degree of complacency among citizens post protest.  There was a wave of anger and people took to the streets.  And now?  I know change is slow to come, and is difficult, but I think that many people have become jaded (again), and have just resigned themselves to how it is.  Your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just linked the same thing over at Bossa Breezes in order to refute Alex´s assertion that "The Economist" is being unfair toward Brazil.
    Regarding complacency I am not sure that is what´s happening. It seems to me that the majority of Brazilian society just doesn´t know how to go about promoting positive change, mainly because they have yet to develop coherent ideas of what those changes should be - in order of importance. For instance: reforming Brazil´s pension system would bring much, much greater economic benefits than tackling corruption; yet the latter gets most of the attention since it is easier to grasp. Corruption is a scourge of course, but not being able to comprehend the cost-benefit behind each individual issue may ultimately lead people to focus energy on those harder to solve problems, and which actually reap diminished results. In the end people become frustrated, and perhaps complacent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Ideas about change and how things "work" are very cultural, and since writing this I've been thinking about assumptions that I have as a North American. I've been brought up believing that my behavior makes a difference around me, for good or for bad. But I think that culturally in Brazil the general thought is that behavior and actions are for the person acting.

      Delete